Use one or all of these options each day depending on your circumstances.
Relax & Unwind
- While sitting, inhale deeply through the mouth then blow out as hard as possible.
- While remaining seated, lift only your right shoulder up and down 10 times.
- Lift only your left shoulder up and down 10 times.
- Actively relax both shoulders. (The body naturally tightens in this area to “protect you from being physically attacked” when you have even a small amount of stress.)
- While both arms are dangling, gently shake them at your side for 15 seconds.
- Stretch out both your legs and rest your heels on the floor.
- Gently bounce your knees up and down for 15 seconds.
- Roll your feet from side to side 10 times without lifting your heels off the floor.
- Bend your knees and sit up straight without straining.
- Close your eyes and try to think of nothing for 30 seconds.
- Take another deep breath and exhale.
4, 7, 8 Breathing Technique
- Inhale through the nose as you silently count to 4.
- Hold the breath as you silently count to 7.
- Exhale as you silently count to 8.
- Repeat this exercise 3 times to quickly decompress.
- Repeat this exercise 5 times if sleep is the goal.
Personal Hand Massage
Each set of instructions is a different technique.
Apply an aromatherapy hand lotion if you want additional calming effects of these exercises.
Begin each Personal Hand Massage by rubbing your palms together briskly for 20 seconds to warm up your hands.
- Hold (or pretend you are holding) a colored sponge from your Engagement Supply Kit in each hand and squeeze them as hard as you can.
- Hold the squeeze as you count to 10 and then release your squeeze on the sponge.
- Repeat this exercise 5 times.
- Grab your left thumb and squeeze it as tightly as possible without it hurting.
- Hold this for 30 seconds.
- Wiggle the thumb for 10 seconds to relax it. Massage the same thumb for 30 seconds making sure to rub the entire thumb.
- Repeat steps 4-6 on the right thumb.
- While making sure to alternate between the left and the right hands, repeat steps 4-6 using a different finger every time until you have massaged each finger on both hands.
- Hold the back of your left hand in the palm of your right hand and place your thumb on the left palm.
- Using your right thumb, firmly rub your left palm using a circular motion for 30 seconds.
- Rub between the thumb and the index finger for 30 seconds.
- Rub each joint – wrist and knuckles – for 10 seconds on your left hand.
- Use your thumb and first 2 fingers.
- End the Personal Hand Massage exercise by increasing the blood flow back to the heart.
- Open your left hand but keep all the fingers touching.
- With your right hand, start at the tips of the fingers and run your hand all the way down to the wrist. Repeat 10 times.
- Hold both hands up with fingers pointing up. Wiggle all the fingers at the same time for 20 seconds.